Welcome, dear ones, to Year THREE of Flash! Friday! Today kicks off the brand new judge panel, which this year will be captained by teams. Your entries will still be judged blindly, which means the only intentional bias you’ll see here is toward strong writing and (yeeeehaw!!!!) anyone with a readiness to have a totally good time.
Keep coming back, too: in the next few weeks we’ll be rolling out some new features here at the ol’ lair, including a fresh contest format just to shake things up a bit. You will certainly not want to miss Tuesday’s announcement of the Flashversary winners (listen carefully and you’ll hear the Flash Fiction Online staff battling over them now).
ALSO come back Saturday & Sunday, not just to read and comment on today’s stories, but to VOTE: we are doing a bonus readers’ choice award on the top ten stories, just for fun. And yes, sure, I’ll throw in an extra prize for that, why not!
Now let’s get to it, eh?
The first team of Dragon Captains consists of Image Ronin and Joidianne4eva, who are so anxious to bite into your stories, I can hear their bellies rumbling from here. Take a minute to scan their judge pages (linked just above), read their thoughts on what a good story oughtta look like, and give them a nice, warm FF welcome!
Awards Ceremony: Results will post Monday. Noteworthy #SixtySeconds interviews with the previous week’s winner post Wednesdays. I (Rebekah) post my own unbalanced writings sometimes on Tuesdays or Thursdays.
Now, take a swig from the glass (if you dare) and write us a story based on the photo below.
* Word count: Write a 150-word story (10-word leeway on either side) based on the photo prompt.
* How: Post your story here in the comments. Include your word count (140 – 160 words, excluding title) and Twitter handle if you’ve got one. If you’re new, don’t forget to check the contest guidelines.
* Deadline: 11:59pm ET tonight (check the world clock if you need to; Flash! Friday is on Washington, DC time)
* Winners: will post Monday.
* Prize: The Flash! Friday e-dragon e-badge for your blog/wall, your own winner’s page here at FF, a 60-second interview next Wednesday, and your name flame-written on the Dragon Wall of Fame for posterity.
—NO DRAGON’S BIDDING—WRITE A STORY BASED ON THE PHOTO ALONE—