WELCOME TO FLASHVERSARY! This is my day to give back to you, dear Flash! Friday family, as thanks for your faithful support of and participation in this contest. YOU are the ones who have made Flash! Friday the glorious madhouse it is, a safe and fun place to share writing and grow as writers. Thank you, beloved dragons, for all you’ve done to craft such a supportive, talented, hilarious, angst-ridden, adrenaline-bursting, (dragon tolerating) loving community. My thanks to those who have judged and are about to; to last year’s 42 winners; to the guest judges; to those who support me behind the scenes; to those who support FF financially; to the many hundreds of you who return so faithfully to comment on others’ stories as well as share your own. Our second year has been ASTOUNDING, and I wouldn’t change a thing. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. Today is for you.
Another round of thanks goes to the incredibly talented team over at Flash Fiction Online, particularly Anna Yeatts and Suzanne Vincent, who, out of their love for flash fiction and awesome writing, are graciously giving of their time and expertise to Flashversary. (More about them when we reach the finalists’ stage!) For now: we are honored and so very grateful!
FLASH! FRIDAY PRIZE BOX
Grand Dragon Champion:
-a Flashversary poster printed with your winning story,
-a Flash! Friday commemorative poster,
-a Flash! Friday commemorative item (choose from a key chain, pendant, or magnet),
-a one-year digital subscription to all three Splickety imprints (Splickety Prime, Splickety Love, Havok),
-a Splickety prize basket including every back issue of Splickety’s magazines, a copy of the Splickety 2014 anthology, and a copy of the Splickety staff’s “how to write flash fiction” ebook
-a one-year subscription to Flash Fiction Online,
-a critique of a story or excerpt of your writing up to 2,000 words by Flash Fiction Online Editor-in-Chief Suzanne Vincent & Publisher Anna Yeatts, and
-fast-tracked consideration for publication in Flash Fiction Online
1st Runner Up: One Flashversary poster printed with your winning story, a Flash! Friday commemorative poster, a FF commemorative item (choose from a key chain, pendant, or magnet), a one year subscription to the Splickety imprint of your choosing, and a one year subscription to Flash Fiction Online
2nd Runner Up: A Flash! Friday commemorative poster, a FF commemorative item (choose from a key chain, pendant, or magnet), and a one year subscription to the Splickety imprint of your choosing
3rd Runner Up: A Flash! Friday commemorative poster and a one year subscription to the Splickety imprint of your choosing
Honorable Mentions: A Flash! Friday commemorative poster
* TOP TEN FINALISTS: personal critiques on your entry from the Flash Fiction Online judging team
ROUND ONE RULES: Open to ALL WRITERS.
* Limit one entry per person, submitted as a comment to this post. Note: Proofread carefully; no corrections or changes can be made to your entry once you submit it. Normal content restrictions apply (short version: no erotica, no fanfic).
* Submission window: Round One is open from 12:01am Friday, Dec 5, until 11:59pm Saturday, Dec 6 Washington, DC time (48 hours)
* What happens next: The Flash! Friday judging team (led by Rebekah) will choose the top 25 stories to move on as semifinalists (the stories will be judged blind).
ROUND TWO RULES: Open to SEMIFINALISTS ONLY. Limit one entry per person.
* Submission window: Round Two will present a new prompt and be open from 12:00pm (noon) Sunday, Dec 7, until 12:00pm (noon) Tuesday, Dec 9 (48 hours). Semifinalists will submit a new (second) story to compete in Round Two.
* Notes: (1) Semifinalists who are unable to submit a second story will have their Round One story considered alone. (2) If a Round One story is particularly excellent, the Flash! Friday judging team reserves the right to offer that writer the opportunity to submit their Round One story as their semifinalist entry and skip submitting a second story.
* What happens next: The Flash! Friday judging team (led by Rebekah) will choose the top 10 stories written by the Semifinalists (including both Round One and Round Two entries, thus giving each semifinalist up to 2 chances) to move on as finalists.
FINAL ROUND: On Dec 10 the top 10 finalists as chosen by the Flash! Friday judging team will be announced here at Flash! Friday and submitted stripped of identifying information to the Flash Fiction Online judging team where final winners will be determined.
WINNERS ANNOUNCED: December 16, 2014 at 8:00am Washington, DC time
Round One Word Count: 150 words exactly, no more, no less.
How to Enter: Post your entry (one per writer) here in the comments. Include your word count (150 words exactly, exclusive of title/byline) and Twitter handle if you’ve got one (if not, be sure to link your email address or some way for us to contact you). Be sure to proofread; once your entry is submitted, no changes/corrections are able to be made.
ROUND ONE SUBMISSION WINDOW: From 12:01am Friday, Dec 5, until 11:59pm Saturday, Dec 6 Washington, DC time (48 hours).
**And now for your Round One prompt!**
Let’s see what you, in your own genre and style (see the guidelines for content restrictions), can do with (dragon)fire. NO DRAGON’S BIDDING to direct you. Just you, your Muse, and 150 words. Now go set the world on fire. Again. ♥