Ten answers to ten questions in 20 words or fewer. That’s less time than it takes to burn a match*.
(*Depending on the length of the match and your tolerance for burned fingers, obviously)
Our newest Flash! Friday winner is Steph Ellis. Read her winning story here. We’re delighted to report this is her second win — read her first #SixtySeconds interview (from Jan 1st) here and be sure to check out her freshly updated winner’s page. Then take another minute to get to know her still better below.
1) What about The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy inspired your winning ode? The memory of reading ‘Ode to a Lump of Green Putty I found under my Armpit’ as a 12 year old.
2) Do you outline, or are you more of a discovery writer? More a discovery. I have a vague idea and then write my way into it.
3) How would you describe your writing style? A tendency to be dark, definitely genre rather than literary.
4) When did you begin writing fiction? I did a short fiction course in my 30s but was told my writing didn’t fit ‘normal’ markets so I stopped. Started again a couple of years ago.
5) Introduce us to a favorite character in one of your stories. Maggoty Pie appears as part magpie, part human and features in my children’s WIP; usually carries a bag of worms with him.
8) How do you combat writer’s block? I haven’t actually had a serious case yet. I have a few blank moments but then I just write and it takes shape on its own.
9) What’s the best writing advice you’ve ever been given? I’ve never been given specific advice, but I love Stephen King’s On Writing. I go back to that when self-doubt strikes.
10) What do you admire most about dragons? Y Ddraig Goch have a very good rugby team.