IT’S HERE!!!!! And I’m going to pretend like y’all haven’t already scrolled to the bottom to see what the new contest looks like and will give you a proper intro anyway. Which means: WELCOME to Flash! Friday’s newest challenge! Our first half of the year, we wrote stories inspired by the basic elements of a story (plot/conflict, setting, character, theme) plus a contrasting photo. Now we’re ratcheting that up a bit by finding inspiration in the famous novels of yesterday. Here’s the deal:
* Novel Prompt: We will provide the name of a famous novel along with a summary of its story elements. If you aren’t familiar with the novel, no worries — our summary’s all you need.
* New word count: ROTATING. Each week will require a different min/max wordcount.
* Your challenge: YOU CHOOSE which two story elements to build your story on, and let us know which two you chose. Byline example:
by Rebekah Postupak, Elements: Character & Setting, 200 words, @postupak
* Optional photo: for those who prefer photo inspiration, we’ll still include one, but it will be completely optional to use it for your story. The only prompt you’re required to use = TWO story elements from that week’s novel.
QUESTIONS??? Just tweet @FlashFridayFic or ask in the comments section below. I have also provided a sample entry in the comments.
***NEW JUDGES START TODAY!!!!*** Join me in welcoming Dragon Team Five, the fabulous captains Foy Iver & Holly Geely! As writers, they need no introduction. But as judges? Ahhh, now, won’t this be fun! Foy challenges you to think way outside of the box. “If everyone has taken all the good stories, ” she says, “pull me down a different path.” For her part, Holly says a fabulously crafted character gets her every time. “Nothing beats a well-rounded character,” she says, “be they realistic or grossly exaggerated.” Is everybody up for the challenge?? LET’S GO!
Awards Ceremony: Results will post Monday. Noteworthy #SixtySeconds interviews with the previous week’s winner post Thursdays. Now let’s write!
* Today’s required word count: 200 – 250 words (minimum 200, maximum 250, not counting title/byline).
* How to enter: Post your story here in the comments. Be sure to include your word count (this week’s min 200 – max 250 words, excluding title/byline), the two story elements you based your story on, and Twitter handle if you’ve got one. If you’re new, don’t forget to check the contest guidelines.
* Deadline: 11:59pm ET tonight (check the world clock if you need to; Flash! Friday is on Washington, DC time)
* Winners: will post Monday.
* Prize: The Flash! Friday e-dragon e-badge for your blog/wall, your own winner’s page here at FF, a 60-second interview next Thursday, and your name flame-written on the Dragon Wall of Fame for posterity.
AND HERE IS YOUR NOVEL PROMPT:
This week’s novel: The Count of Monte Cristo, by Alexandre Dumas.
Story elements (base your story on any TWO of these; be sure to tell us which two you chose):
* Plot: A clever, now fabulously wealthy man seeks revenge on those who once wrongfully imprisoned him.
* Conflict: man vs man
* Character: escaped convict
* Theme(s): revenge AND/OR justice
* Setting: Napoleonic France
OPTIONAL PHOTO PROMPT (for inspiration only; it is NOT REQUIRED for your story):