It’s Friday the 13th (of February): a BIG DAY, and I hope everyone has made ample preparation. That’s right; it’s Valentine’s Eve. Time to load up on chocolate, obviously (consider this a mid-year rehearsal for National Chocolate Day, October 28). Hoarding quality chocolate is particularly crucial for those of us in the United States, as we are soon to be deprived of magnificent Cadbury. Please consider this my fiery protest against Hershey’s decision to mangle the Cadbury recipe and sell purple-labeled, sugared wax instead. There. I’ve said my piece, amen.
Nothing new to announce today (oh, HUSH; you needn’t cheer QUITE so loudly!), so I’ll just run through a review of all the fabulous awesomeness going on daily here at the dragons’ lair:
Monday: Flash! Friday contest results
Tuesday: Spotlight interviews (this week: the second half of our interview with Flashversary winner Maggie Duncan)
Wednesday: writing game w/ photo prompt & unique challenges
Thursday: Sixty Seconds interview with the newest Flash! Friday champ
Friday: the Flash! Friday contest
Saturday/Sunday: community comments on FF stories; occasional Flash Points (story critiques) or original Flash! Friday team writings/posts
WALL OF FLAME: This past week we awarded the Ring of Fire badge to a stunning twenty-two writers. Seriously, y’all, if you haven’t checked out the Wall of Flame, please take a minute to do so. It’s SO COOL getting to meet Flash! Friday writers. How can you earn this badge? Submit a story at Flash! Friday at least three times in a calendar month. Since we kicked off this feature mid-January, more of you may be eligible today (today is the final Friday to count for both January AND February). Details here.
Judging today is Dragon Team One, made up of disturbingly brilliant dragon captains Image Ronin & Joidianne. I tried asking them what they look for in a winning story. “Suspense and intrigue,” said Joidianne in a very cool and creepy kind of way. Image, meanwhile, mumbled something about picking at scabs only a moment before leaping in the air and clicking his heels together. I don’t know exactly where that leaves all you dear dragonwriters. Just know that I’ll be here for the duration, shrieking and shouting and banging kitchen utensils on pots in your honor.
Awards Ceremony: Results will post Monday. Noteworthy #SixtySeconds interviews with the previous week’s winner post Thursdays.
Now, grab your sword (and/or shield, if you’ve got one) and head into the ring.
* Word count: Write a 200-word story (10-word leeway on either side) based on the photo prompt.
* How: Post your story here in the comments. Include your word count (min 190 – max 210 words, excluding title/byline) and Twitter handle if you’ve got one. If you’re new, don’t forget to check the contest guidelines.
* Deadline: 11:59pm ET tonight (check the world clock if you need to; Flash! Friday is on Washington, DC time)
* Winners: will post Monday.
* Prize: The Flash! Friday e-dragon e-badge for your blog/wall, your own winner’s page here at FF, a 60-second interview next Thursday, and your name flame-written on the Dragon Wall of Fame for posterity.
AND HERE IS YOUR TWO-PART PROMPT:
(1) Required story element (this week: character. The below character must play a central role in your story; please note this character is NOT gender-specific):
(2) Photo prompt to incorporate: