CLOSED! Thank you, as ever, for writing. Results lateish Sunday night!
** Looking for a few good judges! You have made this community the astounding, supportive thing it is. So let’s turn judging on its head: apply now to take a turn as judge in Year 2! Details here. The application deadline for the first panel is October 31.
WELCOME TO FLASH! FRIDAY! No doubt it’s the onset of cold autumn days that makes this photo feel particularly timely. Well, that or my recent hankering for a bowl of chili. I thought it’d be fun to go a little sci-fi this week. Or, obviously, mermaid/noir/mystery/dystopian/Downton Abbeyan, wherever your crazy Muse leads you.
(Find the ethereal contest rules here.)
This week’s moody festivities are judged by the Empress of Chameleonery, SVW member Maggie Duncan, whose own writings glow stunningly prismatically at times . Be sure to check out her judge page to find out what sorts of angles she hopes to see in a winning piece.
* Word limit: 250 word story (10 words’ leeway; doesn’t it feel roomy??) based on the photo prompt. Yep, keeping it short ‘n’ sweet again. (PS. Don’t get comfy there.)
* How: Post your story here in the comments. Include your word count (240 – 260 words, exclusive of title) and Twitter handle if you’ve got one.
* Deadline: 11:59pm ET tonight (check the world clock if you need to; Flash! Friday is on Washington, DC time and, thankfully, does not rely on government funding)
* Winners: will post SUNDAY
* Prize: A multifaceted e-trophy e-dragon e-badge, a shockingly clear yet unsurprisingly ambiguous winner’s page here at FF, a multi-directional 60-second interview feature next Wednesday, and YOUR NAME shot in laser beams/rainbow scales/cynicism/smoking guns/desperation/snotty tea parties across the alien starships orbiting the world (so to speak). NOTE: Winning and non-winning stories alike remain eligible for selection for Monday’s Flash Points.
* Follow @FlashFridayFic on Twitter for up-to-date news/announcements/Dragonlady Grantham quotes (No guest should be admitted without the date of their departure being known; Episode 3.2). And now for your prompt: