WELCOME, O Writers and O the Delight of My Eyes, to Flash! Friday!!!! What a joy it’s been seeing first-timers take the dragon crown four of the past five weeks, and right in the middle of that, 4-timer Phil Coltrane nabbed his 5th win. It’s a wonderful blend of new and familiar, just like the trove of stories you write each week, and I can’t wait to be amazed again this round. Thank you for being here!
A quick side note of thanks to the many of you who offered suggestions for my Scrabble game last weekend. I’m delighted to report I eked out the win this time — 337 to 331 — a nailbiter to the very end. (Rather like flash, eh??)
WALL OF FLAME!!! After today, there’s just one more chance to write a story toward your July Ring of Fire badge. This year is going fast. Can you believe we’re fewer than 20 weeks until Flashversary III!? A big huge contest with prizes, and a fabulous Ring of Fire prize basket, loom. Wall of Flame details here.
***WELCOME OUR NEWEST NEW JUDGES*** This week it’s a pleasure to welcome our final new team of judges: Dragon Team Eight, the crushingly clever captains Voima Oy & A.J. Walker. If you know Voima’s writing, it will not surprise you to hear she prefers stories that are vivid, daring, and evocative, whether they tend toward humorous or heartbreaking. A.J., however, provided a long list of Things That I Like In Stories, including chortles and guffaws, and then immediately wadded up the list and warned you not to listen to him for heaven’s sake; follow your own star!
Awards Ceremony: Results will post Monday. Noteworthy #SixtySeconds interviews with the previous week’s winner post Thursdays.
* Today’s required word count: 250 words exactly (250 words EXACTLY, not counting title/byline).
* How to enter: Post your story here in the comments. Be sure to include your word count (this week 250 words, excluding title/byline), the two story elements you based your story on, and Twitter handle if you’ve got one. If you’re new, don’t forget to check the contest guidelines.
* Deadline: 11:59pm ET tonight (check the world clock if you need to; Flash! Friday is on Washington, DC time)
* Winners: will post Monday.
* Prize: The Flash! Friday e-dragon e-badge for your blog/wall, your own winner’s page here at FF, a 60-second interview next Thursday, and your name flame-written on the Dragon Wall of Fame for posterity.
AND HERE IS YOUR NOVEL PROMPT:
This week’s novel inspiration: The Arabian Nights, a collection of ancient Middle Eastern folktales. Among the more famous of these stories are Sinbad the Sailor, Scheherazade, Aladdin, and Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves. My personal favorite since childhood is The Talking Tree, the Singing Bird, and the Golden Water. Read it and fall in love with the rich language of this gorgeous and beloved storytelling form.
Story elements (base your story on any TWO of these elements; be sure to tell us which two you chose. Reminder: please do not use copyrighted characters). Genies and magical lamps optional but encouraged. 🙂
* Conflict: varies; often man vs man or man vs self
* Character (choose one): street urchin, adventuring sailor, girl unaware of her true heritage
* Theme(s) (choose one): Rags to riches, justice, forgiveness
* Setting: ancient Persia
OPTIONAL PHOTO PROMPT (for inspiration only; it is NOT REQUIRED for your story):