WELCOME TO FLASH! FRIDAY! This week was such a riot!! Congratulations again to our two Golden Ticket winners, Becky Conway & Geoff Holme. (E-chocolate for everybody!) This week also marked the debut of our brand new occasional contest, Flash Dash, in which the prompt goes up and you’ve got just THIRTY MINUTES to post your story. My heart’s still pounding. Be sure to pay attention, as we’ll likely run another one of these before month’s end; I’ve got another Flash! Friday mug that’s dying to travel. And maybe a shiny gold coin or two.
And in case that wasn’t exciting enough:
>>>JUDGE APPLICATIONS ARE NOW OPEN!!!!<<<
Y’all, judging contests is a seriously cool way to kick your own writing into high gear. Serving as a judge here is also a (very, very appreciated) way to give back to this community. Please consider throwing your (dragon) hat into the (fiery) ring. The application deadline is May 8. Details here.
WALL OF FLAME: Believe it or not, today is the THIRD Friday of April, which means you may be eligible for the April Ring of Fire badge! Have you participated at FF three times this month? Details regarding how to get your talons on this sparkly badge, as well as the names of our current fabulous badge holders, can be found here.
Judging today is Dragon Team Three: Captains Carlos Orozco & Eric Martell. It took some doing, but at last we managed to rouse these dragons from their naps, and they’ve promised to stay awake long enough to judge this round. I’ve a feeling once they start nibbling on your stories, staying awake will not be a problem. Your stories are just. that. good.
Awards Ceremony: Results will post Monday. Noteworthy #SixtySeconds interviews with the previous week’s winner post Thursdays.
Now let’s write!
* Word count: Write a 200-word story (10-word leeway on either side) based on the photo prompt.
* How: Post your story here in the comments. Include your word count (min 190 – max 210 words, excluding title/byline) and Twitter handle if you’ve got one. If you’re new, don’t forget to check the contest guidelines.
* Deadline: 11:59pm ET tonight (check the world clock if you need to; Flash! Friday is on Washington, DC time)
* Winners: will post Monday.
* Prize: The Flash! Friday e-dragon e-badge for your blog/wall, your own winner’s page here at FF, a 60-second interview next Thursday, and your name flame-written on the Dragon Wall of Fame for posterity.
AND HERE IS YOUR TWO-PART PROMPT:
(1) Required story element (this week: setting. If you want your story to be eligible for an award, the below setting must be your story’s primary one. Look for ways to make this setting crucial yet organic to the plot.)
(2) Photo prompt to incorporate: