Welcome back! Always a pleasure seeing you here. Flash fiction madness, you know, isn’t limited to writers; I can’t count the number of Fridays I’ve spent refreshing my screen after 12:01am, eager to read your stories. Some nights, depending on how long a week it’s been, I even make bets with myself as to whose the first story will be. That’s right, folks; never a dull moment here at the dragons’ lair! And yes, there’s coffee. Plenty of coffee, it turns out. (How did you know?!)
WALL OF FLAME: Today is the final day to earn eligibility for the February #RingofFire badge (you need to have participated at Flash! Friday at least three times in February). Please remember eligibility starts fresh each calendar month; let us know ASAP once you’ve earned it, to keep your name on that fiery wall. If you missed out, no worries; a brand new month starts in just a few days! Details here.
Judging today is Dragon Team Four, consisting of powerful, keen-eyed dragon captains Pratibha & Sinéad O’Hart. No misbehaving here; these captains will keep us ON TASK and marching in fierce, battle-like determination all the way to 200 words! “Show me why I should care about your characters,” says Sinéad, “and how the their lives will be altered once the dust of your story settles.” –“The human mind,” says Pratibha, “is still an unexplored frontier. I look for fleshed out characters and flowing narrative that delivers a nice punch.” GAME ON, CAPTAINS!
Awards Ceremony: Results will post Monday. Noteworthy #SixtySeconds interviews with the previous week’s winner post Thursdays.
Now, grab your umbrella/tent/anti-Nature-weapon, and let’s go!
* Word count: Write a 200-word story (10-word leeway on either side) based on the photo prompt.
* How: Post your story here in the comments. Include your word count (min 190 – max 210 words, excluding title/byline) and Twitter handle if you’ve got one. If you’re new, don’t forget to check the contest guidelines.
* Deadline: 11:59pm ET tonight (check the world clock if you need to; Flash! Friday is on Washington, DC time)
* Winners: will post Monday.
* Prize: The Flash! Friday e-dragon e-badge for your blog/wall, your own winner’s page here at FF, a 60-second interview next Thursday, and your name flame-written on the Dragon Wall of Fame for posterity.
AND HERE IS YOUR TWO-PART PROMPT:
(1) Required story element (this week: conflict. The below conflict must represent your story’s primary conflict. Note that “man” is used in its gender neutral sense):
(2) Photo prompt to incorporate: