UPDATE Sunday: Due to the overwhelming number of entries this week (y’all are alien-CRAZY!), I’ve given the judge til Monday. Results hopefully by mid-morning Washington, DC time. Thank you!
Welcome to Friday! As always, it’s such a pleasure seeing y’all here, rarin’ to go. We’re heading sub-orbital with today’s prompt in honor of our judge, scifi lover Phil Coltrane, who may or may not still be speaking to me since I made him endure Shakespeare in his last round. Perhaps he’ll forgive me if I ask super sweetly?? With rocketships on top?
Even if I hadn’t tortured him that way, though, and determined to make up for it today, our prompt would still be quite cool. Today in 1965 the American spacecraft Gemini V touched down. The re-entry was conducted by computer in utter darkness, and somehow, incredibly, Captain Gordon Cooper realized the system had been misprogrammed. He manually corrected the error and saved their landing. Who needs a movie, when real life is so suspenseful?! Read more about this event here and here.
Heading up the Flash! Friday celestial adventure today as judge is three-time dragon champ Phil Coltrane. He loves to be astonished by tales shot off in unexpected directions, crafted with bold, vivid language and hinting of richly complex worlds beyond what’s shown. Read more about his ideals here.
Awards Ceremony: Results will post Sunday. Noteworthy #SixtySeconds interviews with the previous week’s winner post Wednesdays. I (Rebekah) post my own unearthly writings sometimes on Tuesdays or Thursdays. And on Mondays, one of your own glorious stories may be featured at the very fun #Flashpoints.
Now, grab a joystick and let’s get to it!
* Word limit: 150 word story (10-word leeway) based on the photo prompt.
* How: Post your story here in the comments. Include your word count (140 – 160 words, exclusive of title) and Twitter handle if you’ve got one. If you’re new, don’t forget to check the contest guidelines.
* Deadline: 11:59pm ET tonight (check the world clock if you need to; Flash! Friday is on Washington, DC time)
* Winners: will post Sunday.
* Prize: The Flash! Friday e-dragon e-badge for your blog/wall, your own winner’s page here at FF, a 60-second interview next Wednesday, and your name flame-written on the Dragon Wall of Fame for posterity.
***Today’s Dragon’s Bidding (required element to incorporate somewhere in your story; does not need to be the exact word(s) unless instructed to do so, e.g. “include the name E.T”):