What a pleasure to have arrived at Friday again. Admit it: each week aren’t you a little worried it may decide to play hookey? Here we are, however, despite our communal paranoia about alien invasion, and I couldn’t be happier to see you*. Thank you for coming and sharing your story here!
* Unless They already took over, in which case my resident alien couldn’t be happier to see you.
A word about today’s prompt. Today in 1503 was the official wedding of Margaret Tudor to James IV of Scotland. Ohhh goodness, didn’t I get all giddy when I read that. Because it’s the UK, and it’s loooove, and it’s MARGARET Tudor, and those are all favorite things of today’s first-time judge Margaret Locke. Match made in flash fiction heaven!!! I must confess the artwork I actually wanted (an illumination of Miz Tudor trotting into York) was not in the public domain or creative commons, so I’m taking a wee bit of imaginary license by going with this (still gorgeous) illumination of another Margaret (of Anjou) with another king (Henry VI) a few decades earlier. But it’s still weddingy, and it’s still a Margaret, and it’s still the UK, so I’m going with it. Now I’ve said my piece, amen.
And so here our judge is at last, our own beloved Queen and three-time Flash! Friday winner (as well as the winner of our special Dog Days contest) Margaret Locke. She is judging Flash! Friday today because she is hoping to make an emotional connection with your stories. Read about her ideal story partner here. Then write your very best, and perhaps on Sunday you will hear her say, “Dear Story Writer, will you please accept this rose?”
Awards Ceremony: Results will post Sunday. Noteworthy #SixtySeconds interviews with the previous week’s winner post Wednesdays. I (Rebekah) post my own unbalanced writings sometimes on Tuesdays or Thursdays. And on Mondays, one of your own glorious stories will receive airtime at the very fun #Flashpoints.
Now, grab an oar and let’s get to it!
* Word limit: 150 word story (10-word leeway) based on the photo prompt.
* How: Post your story here in the comments. Include your word count (140 – 160 words, exclusive of title) and Twitter handle if you’ve got one. If you’re new, don’t forget to check the contest guidelines.
* Deadline: 11:59pm ET tonight (check the world clock if you need to; Flash! Friday is on Washington, DC time)
* Winners: will post Sunday.
* Prize: The Flash! Friday e-dragon e-badge for your blog/wall, your own winner’s page here at FF, a 60-second interview next Wednesday, and your name flame-written on the Dragon Wall of Fame for posterity.
***Today’s Dragon’s Bidding (required element to incorporate somewhere in your story; does not need to be the exact word(s) unless instructed to do so, e.g. “include the name “Margaret'”):