It’s Friiiiiiiiiiiiiday!!!!! What yumminess we have to look forward to today with all the stories about to explode. It’s a great deal like the excitement surrounding childbirth, isn’t it? minus the massive hospital fees. Or labor pains. Or needles and machines and things or, conversely, birthing stools and things. Or, of course, sleep deprivation or throwing up. OK. So it’s not like childbirth at all. Never mind.
On a more rational note, welcome back to judge Whitney Healy! She is waiting most eagerly for your stories–Whitney! get that pen out of your mouth! you’ll ruin your teeth!–and can’t wait to see how you’ll treat today’s prompts. Don’t forget to check out her judge’s page to see how she approaches judging.
Reminder! We now have a required extra challenge with the weekly prompt, called the Dragon’s Bidding. The element (inscribed in the dragon’s own bejeweled pendant) changes every week and must be a thematic component in your story. Note that you do not need to include the exact word in your story unless instructed to do so (e.g. “include the word ‘flugmiðar‘”).
What Else: Results post Sunday evenings. Flash Points, a feature in which a particularly outstanding FF story is highlighted, posts on occasional Mondays. Noteworthy #SixtySeconds interviews with the previous week’s winner will post Wednesdays. I (Rebekah–one of these days one of you is going to click on that to see my changing but gorgeous mug) post my own stuff sometimes on Tuesdays or Thursdays “just for fun.” On the menu this week? Thanks to our temporary warm front, I will be serving up burgers (yes, including portabello mushroom steaks) and corn-on-the-cob. Come back often so as not to miss it!
* Word limit: 150 word story (10- word leeway) based on the photo prompt.
* How: Post your story here in the comments. Include your word count (140 – 160 words, exclusive of title) and Twitter handle if you’ve got one. If you’re new, don’t forget to check the contest guidelines.
* Deadline: 11:59pm ET tonight (check the world clock if you need to; Flash! Friday is on Washington, DC time)
* Winners: will post Sunday.
* Prize: The Flash! Friday e-dragon e-badge for your blog/wall, your own winner’s page here at FF, a 60-second interview next Wednesday, and your name flame-written on the Dragon Wall of Fame for posterity.
***Today’s Dragon’s Bidding (required element to incorporate somewhere in your story; YES, today you must include a tiger or a turtle):