Ten answers to ten questions in 20 words or fewer. That’s less time than it takes to burn a match*.
(*Depending on the length of the match and your tolerance for burned fingers, obviously)
Our latest Flash! Friday winner (for her 2nd time) is Aria Glazki. Read her winning story here, then take one minute to get to know her even better. (Read her first interview here.)
1) What about the prompt inspired you to write your winning piece? The boy’s posture didn’t seem like he was enjoying flight, which made me question why he’d be in the air.
2) What is the meaning of your story’s title, “Teaching Abroad”? I wanted to underscore the narrator’s complete lack of familiarity with the situation and sense of responsibility for the children.
3) How would you describe your writing style? Eclectic, experimental, and spontaneous, particularly when it comes to Flash! Friday stories. Hopefully evocative as well.
4) When did you begin writing fiction? As a young child, I was assigned stories for various classes. Eventually the world of fiction refused to let go!
5) Introduce us to a favorite character in one of your stories. I am fond of Gina: an adventurous, outgoing, and ultra-stylish Italian-American, who likes bringing others into the limelight with her.
6) What books have influenced your life the most? All of them – the ability to immerse myself in the engaging worlds of others’ words has been transformative.
7) What are you currently reading? I just finished Ally Carter’s Gallagher Girls series (YA), so I’m on the hunt for my next read.
8) How do you combat writer’s block? Do something else: I’ll read a book, do a puzzle, etc. – anything to let my subconscious do the heavy lifting.
9) What is the best writing advice you’ve ever been given? Breaking the rules is perfectly acceptable, but you must know which rules to break and must have a compelling reason.
10) What do you admire most about dragons? Their finesse – the superb ability to manipulate their massive bodies through intricate patterns and positions with an ingrained elegance.