MERRY CHRISTMAS to those of you who celebrate it, and WELCOME, WELCOME, one and all, to another round of Flash! Friday! We may be suffering pumpkin pie hangovers (yes, I said “we”; there’s no way I’m alone in my affection for all things Pumpkin (er, right?). [[Last week I made a pumpkin soup with undertones of cumin and ginger, ohhhhh so good I melted in a little puddle of pumpkinyumminess]]), but writing Must Go On. Well, perhaps not must. But it does, whether we wish it or no. The words keeping coming and coming and COMING, and we’ve got to put them somewhere, or die.
Perhaps it is must after all?
(Raise your hand if you’re addicted to flash fiction……)
(Raise your other hand if you’re addicted to pumpkin.)
(Raise both hands if you have a brilliant pumpkin recipe that Needs Sharing. And then tweet it to me at @FlashFridayFic AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.)
(Now I’m feeling inspired. One of these days we should do a Foodie Friday in which we submit favorite recipes, and we’ll have celebrity chefs in as judges. Wouldn’t that be a kick, eh?!)
(My favorites are pumpkin curry, pumpkin soup, pumpkin chili, pumpkin-sausage risotto, pumpkin lattes, and OH MY WORD does it get any better than pumpkin ravioli.)
(No, I’ve not been in the eggnog. Why do you ask?)
Our fourth team of new Dragon Captains (oh, picky, picky. Yes, we’ve swapped — you’ll see Team Three next week) consists of familiar and beloved writer Sinéad O’Hart and returning judge (returning!? now that’s a courageous dragon heart) Pratibha Kelapure. Be sure to read their bios and their judging philosophies to give you a better idea of the kinds of things they look for in winning entries. Plus, reading their bios is just plain fun and a wee bit nosy.
Awards Ceremony: Results will post Tuesday this week. Noteworthy #SixtySeconds interviews with the previous week’s winner post Wednesdays (Thursday this round). I (Rebekah) post my own unbalanced writings sometimes on Tuesdays or Thursdays.
Now, fetch yourself something pumpkin, send an SOS to your favorite knight (THREE dragons attacking today!), and write a story based on the photo below.
* Word count: Write a 150-word story (10-word leeway on either side) based on the photo prompt.
* How: Post your story here in the comments. Include your word count (140 – 160 words, excluding title) and Twitter handle if you’ve got one. If you’re new, don’t forget to check the contest guidelines.
* Deadline: 11:59pm ET tonight (check the world clock if you need to; Flash! Friday is on Washington, DC time)
* Winners: will post Monday.
* Prize: The Flash! Friday e-dragon e-badge for your blog/wall, your own winner’s page here at FF, a 60-second interview next Wednesday, and your name flame-written on the Dragon Wall of Fame for posterity.
—NO DRAGON’S BIDDING—WRITE A STORY BASED ON THE PHOTO ALONE—