Oh, my dear fellow dragons, am I GIDDY over what’s in the works for you this next quarter!!! We’ve a fabulous new panel of judges stepping up to the plate in July (their names will be announced next week). AND AND AND there’s going to be something else crazy happening in July, because July feels like the perfect sort of month to do crazy things in. But will I tell you about it now? No, I will not. I love you too much to $poil your $urpri$e.
In the meantime, today I am delighted to visit again the compelling work of photographer Lewis Hine (1874 – 1940). His powerful work documenting child labor in particular (see here) was pivotal in bringing about important reforms in US law. What story do you have for our precious Rose, I wonder??
Today it’s time to say thank you and adieu to judge Alissa Leonard. She is a skilled worldbuilder with a keen eye for good writing, and she is a dear friend. Though I’ll miss her judgery, it’ll be fun seeing her stories back in the trenches. If you’d like your work to grab her attention today, be sure to check out her judge’s page for tips regarding what she’s looking for in a winning entry. Hint: no cliffhangers!
Awards Ceremony: Results will post Sunday. Our resurrected feature #FlashPoints (a non-scary critique of an excellent story from the current round) will post Monday. Noteworthy #SixtySeconds interviews with the previous week’s winner post Wednesdays. I (Rebekah) post my own unbalanced writings sometimes on Tuesdays or Thursdays “just for fun.”
Now let’s get to it!
* Word limit: 150 word story (10-word leeway) based on the photo prompt.
* How: Post your story here in the comments. Include your word count (140 – 160 words, exclusive of title) and Twitter handle if you’ve got one. If you’re new, don’t forget to check the contest guidelines.
* Deadline: 11:59pm ET tonight (check the world clock if you need to; Flash! Friday is on Washington, DC time)
* Winners: will post Sunday.
* Prize: The Flash! Friday e-dragon e-badge for your blog/wall, your own winner’s page here at FF, a 60-second interview next Wednesday, and your name flame-written on the Dragon Wall of Fame for posterity.
***Today’s Dragon’s Bidding (required element to incorporate somewhere in your story; does not need to be the exact word(s) unless instructed to do so, e.g. “include the word “bog'”):
“Rose Biodo, Philadelphia, 10 years old. Working 3 summers, minds baby and carries berries, two pecks at a time.” Photo by Lewis Hine, National Archives public domain.