Ten answers to ten questions in 20 words or fewer. That’s less time than it takes to burn a match*.
(*Depending on the length of the match and your tolerance for burned fingers, obviously)
1) What about the prompt inspired your winning piece? Firstly, a pint of Hank and Trapper’s Hat! Image shrieked of fear and suspicion, but with the phone of normality.
2) How long have you been writing flash? Three years or so, but only seriously (i.e. often) over the last year.
3) What do you like about flash? Taking a fresh course each time to an unknown destination. The challenge of creating something tangible on a blank page.
4) What flash advice would you give other writers? I’ll just say 1) do it and 2) don’t worry about others liking it – as long you do. Enjoy it!
6) Do you participate in other flash contests, and which? I love VisDare (hosted by Angela Goff), which always has great photo prompts. I used to do Trifecta (RIP). Occasionally do Mid-Week Blues Buster (hosted by Jeff Tsuruoka).
7) What other forms do you write (novels, poetry, articles, etc)? An occasional beer blog called Scrawling Home. Very occasional twee poems. And far too much Twittering. A possible novel…
8) What is/are your favorite genre(s) to write, and why? Fun fantasy stories with attempted realism. Or real stories with attempted fun and fantasy.
9) Tell us about a WIP. I have quite a neat idea for a time travel novel. Or maybe I’ve not had that yet.
10) How do you feel about dragons? There’s a nice one in my local pub who lives in their cellar and keeps their central heating nicely toasty.