Hurray, hurray, it’s Friday! Which means after a cruel six days of separation, I finally get to see y’all again. Thank you for being here, as we start winding down the last few weeks of Year Three. What a GREAT year! And what a marvelous privilege it’s been getting to know Year Three’s eight dragon teams. Y’all have knocked my socks off.
Speaking of dragon teams!!!! Judge applications for the first part of Year Four are NOW OPEN! The application’s pretty simple: contact info, and then a few sample stories for you to comment on, so we can get a feel for how you approach judging. We’re looking for eight new judges to begin mid-December. Won’t you join us?? Details here. [Questions? Email me here.] The deadline’s in two weeks, Nov 13.
Final notes: a reminder that I’m looking for FF community books to add to our giant Flashversary prize bucket (let me know, please!). And tomorrow’s another fiery edition of #Pyro; please send in your <500 word story for critiquing! The comments so far have been detailed and supportive, start to finish. Love it. Thank you!
Up at bat today is Dragon Team Eight, which means, of course, A.J. Walker and Voima Oy. A.J., I’m told, keeps a year-round apartment in Wonderland, so please keep a lookout for him today as you journey through his realm. The poetic Voima is equally comfortable there, as one who has a special passion for scifi and fantasy and experimentation in stories. Once again the judge/novel pairing appears to be a perfect match!
Awards Ceremony: Results will post Monday. Noteworthy #SixtySeconds interviews with the previous week’s winner post Thursdays.
* Today’s required word count: 250 words +/- 10 (240 – 260 words, not counting title/byline).
* How to enter: Post your story here in the comments. Be sure to include your word count (min 240, max 260 words, excluding title/byline), the two story elements you based your story on, and Twitter handle if you’ve got one. If you’re new or forgetful, be sure to check the contest guidelines.
* Deadline: 11:59pm ET tonight (check the world clock if you need to; Flash! Friday is on Washington, DC time)
* Winners: will post Monday.
* Prize: The Flash! Friday e-dragon e-badge for your blog/wall, your own winner’s page here at FF, a 60-second interview next Thursday, and your name flame-written on the Dragon Wall of Fame for posterity.
AND HERE IS YOUR NOVEL PROMPT:
Today we abandon the terrifying dark depths of the sea in favor of a cheerful Walrus. “The time has come,” the Walrus says, “to talk of many things. Of shoes and ships — and sealing wax — of cabbages and kings.” This is Lewis Carroll’s walrus friend, of course, and today we leap with him down the rabbit hole into Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, that gloriously bizarre, comedic, hallucinogenic, riddling tale of a young girl’s fall into a magical world.
Story elements (base your story on any TWO of these elements; be sure to tell us which two you chose. Reminder: please remember the Flash! Friday guidelines with regard to content; and remember please do not use copyrighted characters).
* Conflict: man v society; man v man; man v logic (not gender specific, and I made that last one up Just Because)
* Character (choose at least one): a curious girl; a violent, capricious ruler; an odd cat; an extremely ugly and angry duchess; a rude host; a man on trial for minor theft.
* Theme (choose one): childhood, nonsense, logic, justice, nature, death
* Setting (choose one): Victorian England, a dream world
OPTIONAL PHOTO PROMPT (for inspiration only; it is NOT REQUIRED for your story):