My heart is full.
This week you beautiful writers soared from every corner of the earth to surround Flash! Friday dragon Beth Peterson as she shuffled off her battered mortal coil. Your songs and poems and stories and jokes made her laugh, made us weep, shoved aside the shadows to fill her hospital room with love. Thank you for lifting her (and me!) up in prayers and a magnificent tapestry of kindness (and even, at times, the exceedingly crucial burgers, coffee, and diet coke).
We read, it is said, to know we are not alone. In my faith too, I know I am not alone. This week you proved in tangible ways that even in writing, we are not alone. Oh my darlings. Never alone.
Today’s contest is therefore dedicated to our precious Beth Peterson: December 29, 1960 – September 2, 2015. Let hers be the spirit that launches a thousand new stories into the world. Such a cunning dragon, to boldly leave us with the treasure of having known her. I love you, dear girl. Be at peace.
Serving as Beth’s dragon captains this week and judging your fine tales are the quick-witted and fearless duo of Josh Bertetta and Steph Ellis. Josh finds himself craving hints of backstory and getting slammed by unexpected twists this week, whereas I can hear Steph begging for mad worldbuilding. I’ve assured them y’all are QUITE up to the task!
Awards Ceremony: Results will post Monday. Noteworthy #SixtySeconds interviews with the previous week’s winner post Thursdays.
* Today’s required word count: 150 words exactly (not counting title/byline).
* How to enter: Post your story here in the comments. Be sure to include your word count (this week 150 words, excluding title/byline), the two story elements you based your story on, and Twitter handle if you’ve got one. If you’re new or forgetful, be sure to check the contest guidelines.
* Deadline: 11:59pm ET tonight (check the world clock if you need to; Flash! Friday is on Washington, DC time)
* Winners: will post Monday.
* Prize: The Flash! Friday e-dragon e-badge for your blog/wall, your own winner’s page here at FF, a 60-second interview next Thursday, and your name flame-written on the Dragon Wall of Fame for posterity.
AND HERE IS YOUR NOVEL PROMPT:
This week’s novel inspiration, reaching far, far back in time: The Iliad, Homer’s 3,000-year-old epic tale of the spectacular clash of gods and heroes surrounding the fall of the city of Troy.
Story elements (base your story on any TWO of these elements; be sure to tell us which two you chose. Reminder: please remember the Flash! Friday guidelines with regard to content).
* Conflict: man v man (not gender specific)
* Character (choose one): a prideful superhero, a hot-tempered king, a mighty warrior, a soothsayer, the most beautiful woman in the world, the kidnapped daughter of a priest
* Theme (choose one): the glory of war, mortality, fate vs free will, friendship
* Setting: a besieged city
OPTIONAL PHOTO PROMPT (for inspiration only; it is NOT REQUIRED for your story):