Ten answers to ten questions in 20 words or fewer. That’s less time than it takes to burn a match*.
(*Depending on the length of the match and your tolerance for burned fingers, obviously)
Our newest Flash! Friday winner is Mark A. King. Read his winning story here. Note that this is his second win (second of what will surely be many!) — read his first #SixtySeconds interview (from July 9) here. Then take another minute to get to know him better below.
1) What about the prompt of Anna Karenina inspired your winning piece? I’m keen to have strong female characters whenever possible and I love reversing social stereotypes; I took it from there.
2) Do you outline, or are you more of a discovery writer? It’s like that Tom Cruise film, just more dull. Write. Edit. Tweak. Tinker. Replace. Repeat.
3) How would you describe your writing style? Others have said it’s poetic, layered, cinematic (I love that) and apparently I can do humour too. I’m not sure myself.
4) When did you begin writing fiction? Some writing in my 20’s. It really happened after losing my mum, just over two years ago now.
5) Introduce us to a favorite character in one of your stories. Merla Kali. She is the city of London at night. She subconsciously influences what happens when darkness falls.
6) What books have influenced your life the most? I have just read The Tongues of Men or Angels by Jonathan Trigell. Incredible. I’m certain it will be life changing.
8) How do you combat writer’s block? Flash! Friday and other comps are the magic pill.
9) What’s the best writing advice you’ve ever been given? You should try Flash! Friday. Honestly, I know it sounds smarmy, but it’s the truth.
10) What do you admire most about dragons? How they can eat Cadbury products without melting them.