SO HAPPY to see you!!!! Welcome! For those of you traveling last week who missed the Big Reveal, you’ll find things a little different today. No, not my frizzy mop, though thank you for asking. No, no, not the sofa either; it’s always hovered there against the back wall. It’s the contest FORMAT, sillies! Each week you’ll be given a well-known novel with its basic elements highlighted, and you’ll be tasked to write a story — of varying word count — incorporating any two elements you wish. So much fun: it’s like a totally fresh challenge AND a Shrinklits-style summer reading plan, combined!
WALL OF FLAME!!! The Wall of Flame’s been updated to reflect all current superdraggins who wrote for at least three Flash! Friday contests in May; several of you regulars haven’t updated for June yet. Let me know if your name (or June update) isn’t there but should be! Details here.
***WELCOME NEW JUDGES*** Join me in welcoming Dragon Team Six, the marvelously stupendous captains Josh Bertetta & Steph Ellis! You know them both, of course, from their clever and/or terrifying tales across the flash fiction circuit. But ahhh, what are they like as judges? Josh says he loves the part of the story that isn’t written as much as the one that is (does what you write make him wonder at what’s just below the surface?), and he LOVES a crazy good twist at the end. For her part, Steph says she loves stories with hints of darkness and mystery. And she loves different. “Anything that can create a new world for me to go and live in for a few minutes and keep me there displaced from my own reality is, in my book, a successful story.”
Awards Ceremony: Results will post Monday. Noteworthy #SixtySeconds interviews with the previous week’s winner post Thursdays. Now let’s write!
* Today’s required word count: 100 – 150 words (minimum 100, maximum 150, not counting title/byline).
* How to enter: Post your story here in the comments. Be sure to include your word count (this week’s min 100 – max 150 words, excluding title/byline), the two story elements you based your story on, and Twitter handle if you’ve got one. If you’re new, don’t forget to check the contest guidelines.
* Deadline: 11:59pm ET tonight (check the world clock if you need to; Flash! Friday is on Washington, DC time)
* Winners: will post Monday.
* Prize: The Flash! Friday e-dragon e-badge for your blog/wall, your own winner’s page here at FF, a 60-second interview next Thursday, and your name flame-written on the Dragon Wall of Fame for posterity.
AND HERE IS YOUR NOVEL PROMPT:
This week’s novel: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, by Roald Dahl.
Story elements (base your story on any TWO of these; be sure to tell us which two you chose: NOTE: for copyright’s sake, please make sure the elements are original to you — i.e. do not use Dahl’s copyrighted characters/world):
* Plot: A poor boy along with four other children win a day in a magical chocolate factory; unbeknownst to them, the factory owner is testing the children for an even bigger prize.
* Conflict: man vs man (the children compete against each other) OR man v self (each child undergoes a trial related to her/his greatest flaw)
* Character: poor boy
* Theme(s): You reap what you sow
* Setting: a run-down shack at the edge of a great city OR a world-famous candy factory
OPTIONAL PHOTO PROMPT (for inspiration only; it is NOT REQUIRED for your story):