Ten answers to ten questions in 20 words or fewer. That’s less time than it takes to burn a match*.
(*Depending on the length of the match and your tolerance for burned fingers, obviously)
Our newest Flash! Friday winner is first timer Mark A. King. You all already know him as the Alpha Dog behind the #FlashDogs; you’ve read (and loved!) his stories. Adding a dragony crown to his resume was inevitable, if a bit delayed. Read more about him here; read his winning story here; then take one minute to get to know him still better below!
1) What about The Count of Monte Cristo inspired your winning piece? I usually have concept ideas before FF (not that I’m obsessed). I then used the prompts to build the story.
2) You’ve been writing flash a good while but this is your first win. What’s kept you going? It’ll be a year next week for FF. I’ve had some success, much fiery love and wonderful dragony support.
3) What do you like about flash? ‘A good short story…contains a higher density of meaning than a novel contains.’ (Chris Beckett intro to FlashDogs Solstice).
4) What flash advice would you give other writers? Participate regularly. Read other stories. Join FlashDogs, obviously.
5) Who is a flash writer we should follow, and why? Too many to list. The Wall of Flame is a great place to find many.
7) What other forms do you write (novels, poetry, articles, etc)? I like to dabble in Haiku. Does work writing count?
8) What is/are your favorite genre(s) to write, and why? Speculative fiction. It covers everything I love and anything is possible.
9) Tell us about a WIP. My life has been FlashDogs. Little time for other things. 5K into a first novel (nosebleed time).
10) How do you feel about dragons? They’re: Magical. Wonderful. Scary. Fluffy. Cuddly, Supportive. Wise. Fearsome. Nurturing. Prophetic. Regal. Intelligent. And look brill on a mug #DragonEmporium.