WELCOME!!!!! Well, we’ve arrived: the first half of Year Three’s over; today we’ve got uber sparkly guest judges (can you stand it??); and next week we kick the contest itself into high gear AND do so under the clever (if moderately ill-behaved) auspices of our newest dragon captain judges. So far this year we’ve seen the launch of the Dragon Emporium, two maniacal rounds of Flash Dash (watch for another sizzling race in July!), loads of Spotlight interviews with publishers, editors, and writers of all shapes and sizes (including brand new and seasoned novelists from our own community). We’ve given away money, magical FF mugs, a professional edit, and a ton of free books. WHAT A YEAR SO FAR!!!!
Last week the flash fiction community also saw the publication of the #FlashDogs’ dual-volume Solstice: Light / Solstice: Dark anthologies featuring a whole horde of you; tomorrow, I’m pleased as dragonpunch to remind you, features the publication of Emily June Street’s The Gantean.
Too much excitement; may we take a nap now, please? you ask.
HECK NO! We’re just getting started. It’s been a fabulous Year Three so far, thanks to you fabulous writers spilling your dreams here every week; I can’t wait to see where y’all take us next.
AND NOW PLEASE WELCOME TO THE JUDGES’ DAIS the exquisite and fantastically talented team behind Luminous Creatures Press: Beth Deitchman and Emily June Street. LCP’s own very exciting Summer of Super Short Stories is starting up July 2: be sure to join them for that. Read more about Beth, Emily, and LCP here. And how to win their judgy hearts? Here they are in their own words:
We like stories that follow an arc, that have characters, settings, conflicts, and resolutions. We want to be shown, not told. We like imagery, but with word economy, a tight rather than an embellished writing style, and we need narrative tension. We especially like stories that have depth. Give us some layers to think about and we’ll reward you.
Awards Ceremony: Results will post Monday. Noteworthy #SixtySeconds interviews with the previous week’s winner post Thursdays. Now let’s write!
* Word count: Write a 200-word story (10-word leeway on either side) based on the photo prompt.
* How: Post your story here in the comments. Include your word count (min 190 – max 210 words, excluding title/byline) and Twitter handle if you’ve got one. If you’re new, don’t forget to check the contest guidelines.
* Deadline: 11:59pm ET tonight (check the world clock if you need to; Flash! Friday is on Washington, DC time)
* Winners: will post Monday.
* Prize: The Flash! Friday e-dragon e-badge for your blog/wall, your own winner’s page here at FF, a 60-second interview next Thursday, and your name flame-written on the Dragon Wall of Fame for posterity.
AND HERE IS YOUR TWO-PART PROMPT:
(1) Required story element (this week: character. If you want your story to be eligible for an award, a writer must be a central to your story — not required to be the protagonist):
(2) Photo prompt to incorporate: