Ten answers to ten questions in 20 words or fewer. That’s less time than it takes to burn a match*.
(*Depending on the length of the match and your tolerance for burned fingers, obviously)
Our newest Flash! Friday winner is Chris Milam. Read his winning story here. Note that this is his second win — read his first #SixtySeconds interview (from Nov 2014) here. Then take another minute to get to know him better below.
1) What about the prompt inspired your winning piece? When I saw the photo I immediately thought of digital angels and relationships. And ghostly machines. It grew from there.
2) Do you outline, or are you more of a discovery writer? No outlining. A story percolates in my mind until I can see the arc of the plot unfold seamlessly.
3) How would you describe your writing style? A talented writer friend of mine said my style was “spun-gold grit.” It made me smile. I’ll go with that.
4) When did you begin writing fiction? I started writing fiction a touch over a year ago. Still have no idea what I’m doing. At all.
5) Introduce us to a favorite character in one of your stories. Henry, my adorable sociopath, has appeared in a few of my stories. He is a monster, a devilishly handsome one.
7) What are you currently reading? I’m rereading The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. Her prose is so lush and delightful. Wonderful book.
8) How do you combat writer’s block? I’ll put on some music and focus on stringing together a few words. Just write one sentence. Usually works.
9) What’s the best writing advice you’ve ever been given? Write the story that only you can write. Embrace your unique voice, and let your ink create something magical.
10) What do you admire most about dragons? Well, the menacing fire-breather perched next to me is nudging me to say “their bravery and winsome smile.”