WELCOME to Flash! Friday! Normally I behave myself beautifully (stop laughing. This is not an open mic) and wait to introduce the judge after the diamonds, but today I can’t stand it. I’m just going to have to tell you STRAIGHT UP that we have Poised Pen judging today!
Gotta say I’m partial to writers’ groups. My own beloved Shenandoah Valley Writers (which consists of rock stars you know like Tamara Shoemaker, Margaret Locke, Taryn Noelle Kloeden, M.T. Decker, Allison Garcia, Maggie Duncan, and my dear friend and SVW co-founder, publisher/editor Susan Warren Utley… I KNOW, RIGHT?!?! Chills!) has woven itself into my heart. These people have sat at my table eating muffins. They’ve sung karaoke at my birthday party (here’s looking at YOU, Maggie Duncan) and written me dragon stories. And every day they push me to write better.
Approaching Poised Pen only made the best kind of sense.
The Poised Pen writer’s group is based in Liverpool; they meet, and meet often, and I understand there may be copious amounts of ale involved. Please join me in welcoming them (represented today by Catherine Connolly and AJ Walker), and read more about them here.
Couple quick announcements: next week is week 51 of Year Two; you are going to love meeting next week’s guest judges. And then on December 5 is Flashversary (hang on to your hats!). December 12 will, if you can believe it, usher in the first week of YEAR THREE with our brand new judge panel. After that, I think we’ll have to schedule a very nice, comfy naptime.
As for today’s prompt: DID YOU KNOW that on November 21, 1877 Edison proclaimed to the world his invention of the phonograph? And it’s hard to think of the phonograph without thinking of the ethereal tones of Caruso (who took two baths a day, scrapbooked, and always carried good luck charms; but I digress). For him the mic is always open.
Awards Ceremony: Results will post Monday. Noteworthy #SixtySeconds interviews with the previous week’s winner post Wednesdays. I (Rebekah) post my own unbalanced writings sometimes on Tuesdays or Thursdays.
Now, shelve that record and write us a story!
* Word count: 150 word story (10-word leeway on either side) based on the photo prompt.
* How: Post your story here in the comments. Include your word count (140 – 160 words, excluding title) and Twitter handle if you’ve got one. If you’re new, don’t forget to check the contest guidelines.
* Deadline: 11:59pm ET tonight (check the world clock if you need to; Flash! Friday is on Washington, DC time)
* Winners: will post Monday.
* Prize: The Flash! Friday e-dragon e-badge for your blog/wall, your own winner’s page here at FF, a 60-second interview next Wednesday, and your name flame-written on the Dragon Wall of Fame for posterity.
***Today’s Dragon’s Bidding (required element to incorporate somewhere in your story; does not need to be the exact word(s) unless specifically instructed to do so, e.g. “include a mischievous group of writers named ‘Flash Dogs'”):