HOWDY to y’all, and welcome back to Flash! Friday! Oh goodness, did we get some stellar judge apps in this round– thank you, everyone! I’m soooo excited. The new judge panel for Year Three (ack! did somebody just say “Year Three”??) will be notified by Nov 21, and then announced publicly Nov 28. A reminder that #Flashversary will take place on Dec 5. Prizes, baby, and universal acclaim, and fancy schmancyness.
And then, should we all survive that, Year Three will launch.
Today’s prompt is inspired by one of my heroes, writer/investigative reporter/adventurer Nellie Bly. If you don’t know her fascinating story (like the time she faked insanity to expose an asylum’s atrocities firsthand — and this was 1887; nobody was doing that kind of journalism then), check out her Wiki page. On November 14, 1889 (and given only two days to pack!), she set sail on a crazy, round-the-world race to see if Jules Verne’s Around the World in Eighty Days could be accomplished literally. Naturally, our Nellie made it in a stunning 72, and picked up a monkey in Singapore as a souvenir. WOAH NELLIE!
Today, ohhhhh, GRIEVE WITH ME!!!! we say farewell to the final judge of this glorious judge panel. Sheer cruelty, I tell you. First off, a warning that this means next week all of them will be back in the thick of the FF competition. But second: what a joy and privilege to have worked with judge Margaret Locke these past months. As a romance writer, her insights into the workings of the human heart and mind have made her judgery particularly spectacular. Thank you, sweet Margaret, for all you’ve done for Flash! Friday. We’re so grateful!!!
PS. Are you ever going to go nuts when you see who our guest judges are for Vol 2 – 50 & 51!!!!!!!
Awards Ceremony: Results will post Monday. Noteworthy #SixtySeconds interviews with the previous week’s winner post Wednesdays. I (Rebekah) post my own unbalanced writings sometimes on Tuesdays or Thursdays.
Now, grab your simian and let’s go!
* Word limit: 150 word story (10-word leeway) based on the photo prompt.
* How: Post your story here in the comments. Include your word count (140 – 160 words, exclusive of title) and Twitter handle if you’ve got one. If you’re new, don’t forget to check the contest guidelines.
* Deadline: 11:59pm ET tonight (check the world clock if you need to; Flash! Friday is on Washington, DC time)
* Winners: will post Monday.
* Prize: The Flash! Friday e-dragon e-badge for your blog/wall, your own winner’s page here at FF, a 60-second interview next Wednesday, and your name flame-written on the Dragon Wall of Fame for posterity.
***Today’s Dragon’s Bidding (required element to incorporate somewhere in your story; does not need to be the exact word(s) unless specifically instructed to do so, e.g. “include a valet named Passepartout”):