Thanks to another staggeringly awesome round of entries, results will again post Monday. Thanks y’all!
Well, HOWDY there, and welcome to September! In the United States this week means the start of the school year for many as we wend our way toward fall; meanwhile, our Aussie friends are kicking off spring. Yet here we are, all together. Isn’t the Internet miraculous?! Thank you for setting aside a few minutes, regardless of season, in honor of flash fiction. May today be a fabulous one!
As for today’s prompt: This past week marked 84 years since the hauntingly remote islands of St Kilda were formally abandoned after two thousand (give or take) years of human habitation. Do you know this story? There’s not much to it, and yet…. Read some of the official stuff here; but what you really want is here, especially Chapter 6.
Returning as judge today is the exceedingly brave Craig Anderson who, if he were anyone else, would be quaking in his boots after last week’s out-of-this-world showing. Since he is not anyone else, however (at least, so far as we know), he is whistling a merry tune and eagerly awaiting your tales. A reminder he’s over the moon for clever titles and witty banter; but what really makes his day is a story hinting of Something Bigger Than What Is Seen. Can you pull that off? Ha. Like there’s any doubt. Read more about Craig here.
Awards Ceremony: Results will post Sunday (unless you go nuts again, in which case look for results Monday). Noteworthy #SixtySeconds interviews with the previous week’s winner post Wednesdays. I (Rebekah) post my own unbalanced writings sometimes on Tuesdays or Thursdays. And on Mondays, as often as possible, appears our feature #Flashpoints, in which one of your stories gets munched on (think chocolate, not vampires).
Now, grab a seabird and let’s get to it!
* Word limit: 150 word story (10-word leeway) based on the photo prompt.
* How: Post your story here in the comments. Include your word count (140 – 160 words, exclusive of title) and Twitter handle if you’ve got one. If you’re new, don’t forget to check the contest guidelines.
* Deadline: 11:59pm ET tonight (check the world clock if you need to; Flash! Friday is on Washington, DC time)
* Winners: will post Sunday. Probably.
* Prize: The Flash! Friday e-dragon e-badge for your blog/wall, your own winner’s page here at FF, a 60-second interview next Wednesday, and your name flame-written on the Dragon Wall of Fame for posterity.
***Today’s Dragon’s Bidding (required element to incorporate somewhere in your story; does not need to be the exact word(s) unless instructed to do so, e.g. “include the name “Hirta'”):
***BONUS optional challenge: totally optional, not required, nor do you net extra points except in our unabashed respect: in honor of faithful and enthusiastic dragon stellakateT, who cannot write with us today: name a major character Stella.