Wheeee doggies, what a whirwind couple of weeks it’s been! Felt like the whole flash world went nuts with the #DogDays contest — the finalists may still very well be napping after their enthusiastic labors. Congratulations again to the top three winners: Margaret Locke (also serving as judge this quarter), Toni Morrow Wyatt, and MT Decker, as well as to the dozens of you who contributed such fabulous stories to the mischief barrel and the many hundreds who took the time to vote.
THANK YOU too to the sponsors who contributed toward the prizes. Flash! Friday’s a free contest and always will be, but throwing a penny in the jar now and then makes this kind of contest (and other fun things!) possible. Donation button’s right there in the sidebar. Don’t be shy!
TODAY’S prompt… well, the inspiration came from this day in 1834, when slavery was abolished across the British Empire. You will have to use your imagination to discover how we wound up in Suriname…
Boldly returning as judge this week is HRH Craig Anderson. (If you’re wondering how to earn some brownie points, you might consider crafting a particularly clever story title.) Learn more about what he likes in a story here. But be quick about it; this contest closes in just a few hours!
Awards Ceremony: Results will post Sunday. On Monday you’ll usually find Flash Points, in which an especially awesome flash story of yours is microscoped. Noteworthy #SixtySeconds interviews with the previous week’s winner post Wednesdays. I (Rebekah) post my own unbalanced writings sometimes on Tuesdays or Thursdays.
Now LET’S GET GOING!
* Word limit: 150 word story (10-word leeway) based on the photo prompt.
* How: Post your story here in the comments. Include your word count (140 – 160 words, exclusive of title) and Twitter handle if you’ve got one. If you’re new, don’t forget to check the contest guidelines.
* Deadline: 11:59pm ET tonight (check the world clock if you need to; Flash! Friday is on Washington, DC time)
* Winners: will post Sunday.
* Prize: The Flash! Friday e-dragon e-badge for your blog/wall, your own winner’s page here at FF, a 60-second interview next Wednesday, and your name flame-written on the Dragon Wall of Fame for posterity.
***Today’s Dragon’s Bidding (required element to incorporate somewhere in your story; does not need to be the exact word(s) unless instructed to do so, e.g. “include the name “Conchita Leeflang'”):