Welcome back to Friday! DON’T FORGET the polls are open NOW to choose your favorite Dog Days story. Bribe your friends, call Aunt Miranda, promise a week of car washing, whatever you’ve got to do to help corral votes. Find the poll here or in the Dog Days pic on the sidebar. Deadline’s 11:59pm Monday night, July 28!
Speaking of Miranda, on this day in 1609 the English ship Sea Venture wrecked (and then its voyagers settled) Bermuda. This wreck was said to have inspired Shakespeare’s The Tempest, so it seems an appropriate segue to Dog Days’ mischief-making to feature Miranda as today’s prompt. In the words of the Bard:
How many goodly creatures are there here!
How beauteous mankind is! O brave new world,
That has such people in’t!”
Bravely sauntering on stage as judge this week is three-time Flash! Friday winner Phil Coltrane. You should know he thinks a story is like a dragon’s egg, which makes me think he will be a judge of excellent taste and discernment. Read his thoughts on a good story here. Then fling your story fearlessly into the gale!
Awards Ceremony: Results will post Sunday. Noteworthy #SixtySeconds interviews with the previous week’s winner post Wednesdays. I (Rebekah) post my own unbalanced writings sometimes on Tuesdays or Thursdays. And the fabulous Dog Days contest is currently taking votes until 11:59pm Monday, July 28, Washington, DC time.
Now, grab an oar and let’s get to it!
* Word limit: 150 word story (10-word leeway) based on the photo prompt.
* How: Post your story here in the comments. Include your word count (140 – 160 words, exclusive of title) and Twitter handle if you’ve got one. If you’re new, don’t forget to check the contest guidelines.
* Deadline: 11:59pm ET tonight (check the world clock if you need to; Flash! Friday is on Washington, DC time)
* Winners: will post Sunday.
* Prize: The Flash! Friday e-dragon e-badge for your blog/wall, your own winner’s page here at FF, a 60-second interview next Wednesday, and your name flame-written on the Dragon Wall of Fame for posterity.
***Today’s Dragon’s Bidding (required element to incorporate somewhere in your story; does not need to be the exact word(s) unless instructed to do so, e.g. “include the word “Caliban'”):