Welcome! What a pleasure seeing all your eager, sparkly faces staring here at the dragon screen. Oh–you there–no disrespect, but let me hand you a tissue. Yes; that’s better. Thank you. And now to business: today is J. M. Barrie‘s birthday, and though Egg’s painting (“Past and Present,” below) came first by some fifty years, there’s something Peter Pan-esque about it, I think. I can’t wait to read the stories you spin from it.
Your judge today is Peter Pan-esque in her own way, or at least Pan-esque: story spinner, flash fiction obsessed Jess West. She bids you craft deep characters and vivid settings bursting with conflict should you wish your tale to catch her eye. Read more about her wishes (and about her) at her judge page.
Awards Ceremony: Results will post Sunday. Noteworthy #SixtySeconds interviews with the previous week’s winner post Wednesdays. I (Rebekah) post my own stuff sometimes on Tuesdays or Thursdays “just for fun.”
Now let’s get to it!
* Word limit: 150 word story (10-word leeway) based on the photo prompt.
* How: Post your story here in the comments. Include your word count (140 – 160 words, exclusive of title) and Twitter handle if you’ve got one. If you’re new, don’t forget to check the contest guidelines.
* Deadline: 11:59pm ET tonight (check the world clock if you need to; Flash! Friday is on Washington, DC time)
* Winners: will post Sunday.
* Prize: The Flash! Friday e-dragon e-badge for your blog/wall, your own winner’s page here at FF, a 60-second interview next Wednesday, and your name flame-written on the Dragon Wall of Fame for posterity.
***Today’s Dragon’s Bidding (required element to incorporate somewhere in your story; does not need to be the exact word unless instructed to do so, e.g. “include the word “bildungsroman'”):