It’s a tremendous privilege this week to introduce you to the work of master craftsman Jeffro Uitto. In his hands, rugged driftwood turns into a magical gateway. An emperor’s throne. A soaring eagle. I hope he will forgive my presumption in noting how like him you writers are: in your hands, a blank page transforms into mystery. Heartache. Peace. Laughter.
Today’s contest unites our flash fiction with Jeffro’s driftwood marvels, and it feels like a perfect marriage. Jeffro, a thousand thanks for allowing us to use this photo; I hope you love the stories. Writers — have at it!
There’s also no better judge to welcome the magical possibilities of this photo than Alissa Leonard who loves worlds and stories bigger than the 150-word sliver permitted at FF. In 150 words, she wonders, can you capture an eternal moment? The story should feel complete and should evoke emotion of the richest, most visceral kind.
Awards Ceremony: Results will post Sunday. Noteworthy #SixtySeconds interviews with the previous week’s winner post Wednesdays. I (Rebekah) post my own stuff sometimes on Tuesdays or Thursdays “just for fun.”
Now let’s get to it!
* Word limit: 150 word story (10-word leeway) based on the photo prompt.
* How: Post your story here in the comments. Include your word count (140 – 160 words, exclusive of title) and Twitter handle if you’ve got one. If you’re new, don’t forget to check the contest guidelines.
* Deadline: 11:59pm ET tonight (check the world clock if you need to; Flash! Friday is on Washington, DC time)
* Winners: will post Sunday.
* Prize: The Flash! Friday e-dragon e-badge for your blog/wall, your own winner’s page here at FF, a 60-second interview next Wednesday, and your name flame-written on the Dragon Wall of Fame for posterity.
***Today’s Dragon’s Bidding (required element to incorporate somewhere in your story; does not need to be the exact word unless instructed to do so, e.g. “include the name “King Arthur'”):