OH my goodness. Today is big, HUGE! Today kicks off our brand new trifecta of perfection judge panel, consisting of Pratibha Kelapure, Alissa Leonard, and Jess West. You probably know them already from their stellar writing here at FF; I can’t wait for you to get to know them now as judges.
But first: speaking of Trifecta, many of you have participated these past couple of years with the weekly contest machine known by that very name. They’ve offered tiny snippet contests for the weekends and larger chunk contests during the week. They’ve offered support and encouragement, and at every turn, for two and a half years, they have planted their feet mountaintop, waving flags and launching fireworks and throwing parties in support of writers everywhere. Their phenomenal team has been an inspiration and motivator for me and hundreds of others.
THANK YOU, Trifecta, for the part you have played in the writerly world. You’ve been awesome. You’ll be missed. We are forever grateful!
And now for happier news: join me in welcoming judge Pratibha Kelapure! She considers her life a bit of a zigzag, but don’t let that throw you off; her writing here at FF alone has netted a sparkly handful of awards, and one of her stories was featured on Flash Points. As for what she’s looking for in a winning story, she says, I like stories exploring human psyche because the human mind is still an unexplored frontier. I look for fleshed out characters and a flowing narrative that delivers a nice punch on the first reading. You can write in any genre that comes naturally to you based on the prompt. Your characters can be from any universe. Give me your authentic take and make me think.
Awards Ceremony: Results will post Sunday. Noteworthy #SixtySeconds interviews with the previous week’s winner post Wednesdays. I (Rebekah) post my own stuff sometimes on Tuesdays or Thursdays “just for fun.”
Now let’s get to it!
* Word limit: 150 word story (10-word leeway) based on the photo prompt.
* How: Post your story here in the comments. Include your word count (140 – 160 words, exclusive of title) and Twitter handle if you’ve got one. If you’re new, don’t forget to check the contest guidelines.
* Deadline: 11:59pm ET tonight (check the world clock if you need to; Flash! Friday is on Washington, DC time)
* Winners: will post Sunday.
* Prize: The Flash! Friday e-dragon e-badge for your blog/wall, your own winner’s page here at FF, a 60-second interview next Wednesday, and your name flame-written on the Dragon Wall of Fame for posterity.
***Today’s Dragon’s Bidding (required element to incorporate somewhere in your story; does not need to be the exact word unless instructed to do so, e.g. “include the names ‘Abbott and Costello'”):