WELCOME! Delighted to see you back for another rompish round of writerly fun. Do I ever love today’s prompt, too, which is beautifully timeless (I guarantee you whatever the equivalent of texting drivers was in 2000 BC, there was a camel or donkey wreck to match).
Wrapping up the first month of 2014 for us is judge Nillu Nasser Stelter. What fun it’s been getting to see her on the other side of the bench, evaluating stories and pushing us hard. Don’t forget you can peek in on her personal preferences at her judge page. A reminder she loves stories of magic and fantasy; I’ll be tossing out gold stars quite liberally to any of you able to manage that for this prompt!
Final reminder! We’re more than a couple of months into Year Two now, so I trust everyone remembers the required extra challenge called the Dragon’s Bidding. The element (inscribed in the dragon’s own bejeweled pendant) changes every week and must be a thematic component in your story. Note that you do not need to include the exact word in your story unless instructed to do so (e.g. “include the word ‘díoltas‘”).
Same ol’, same ol’: Results post Sunday evenings. Flash Points, a feature in which a particularly outstanding FF story is highlighted, posts on occasional Mondays. Noteworthy #SixtySeconds interviews with the previous week’s winner will post Wednesdays. I (Rebekah) post my own stuff sometimes on Tuesdays or Thursdays “just for fun.” Hungry? I’m serving up bowls of popcorn by the dozen today. Come put your feet up and help yourself!
* Word limit: 150 word story (10-word leeway) based on the photo prompt.
* How: Post your story here in the comments. Include your word count (140 – 160 words, exclusive of title) and Twitter handle if you’ve got one. If you’re new, don’t forget to check the contest guidelines.
* Deadline: 11:59pm ET tonight (check the world clock if you need to; Flash! Friday is on Washington, DC time)
* Winners: will post Sunday.
* Prize: The Flash! Friday e-dragon e-badge for your blog/wall, your own winner’s page here at FF, a 60-second interview next Wednesday, and your name flame-written on the Dragon Wall of Fame for posterity.
***Today’s Dragon’s Bidding (required element to incorporate somewhere in your story; does not need to be the exact word unless that is specified):