The doors to this crazy building are now CLOSED!!!! Thanks, all! Judge’s results Sunday, including the winner of this week’s special competition for Best Title. See y’all then!
Welcome to Flash! Friday # 42! I came across this week’s prompt while browsing through photos of various historic sites. It was the building’s name, actually, that caught my eye: the Odd Fellows Home for Orphans, Indigent, and Aged. (Read more about this fascinating project here.) What a colorful mixture of people–what a curiously titled batch of folks at the helm–and what on earth is that bizarre thing out front?! The official report is far too prosaic to satisfy me, and so I bring the building and its name to you, dear writers. What wondrous world lies hidden behind the doors? Tell me everything!*
*Or as much as you can squish within the word limit, that is.
(Find the contest rules here.)
This week’s contest is judged by SVW member Maggie Duncan who, in honor of the topic of names, is awarding a special prize this week for Best Title. She’s also quite crazy about well-structured tales–check out her judge page to find out more!
* Word limit: 300 word story (10-word leeway) based on the photo prompt.
* How: Post your story here in the comments. Include your word count (290 – 310 words, exclusive of title) and Twitter handle if you’ve got one. Be sure to give it a great title to qualify for this week’s special “Best Title” award.
* Deadline: 11:59pm ET tonight (check the world clock if you need to; Flash! Friday’s on Washington, DC time)
* Winners: will post SUNDAY
* Prize: A bizarre e-trophy e-dragon e-badge coming your way, a strangely structured winner’s page here at FF, a curiously personalized yet philanthropic 60-second interview feature next Wednesday, and YOUR NAME hammered to the front doors of insane asylums everywhere (so to speak). NOTE: Winning and non-winning stories alike remain eligible for selection for Monday’s as-often-as-I-can-manage-it Flash Points.
* Follow @FlashFridayFic on Twitter for up-to-date news/announcements/lairs for old and infirm dragons. And now for your prompt: