CLOSED!!!!!!!!!!! “And not a minute too soon,” says the girl, flashing me one of those looks, the kind that, if she were sixteen instead of six, would have earned her a week-long grounding. We sure put her through the wringer today, poor thing, and she has just informed me that if it is quite all right with me, she is going to bed now, and I had better have something good waiting for her at breakfast. –Judge’s results Sunday!
Welcome to Flash! Friday # 40. Where last week we had a prompt bursting off the page with vibrant, surrealist detail, this week we’re swinging to the opposite side of things by going almost completely minimalist. Instead of battling the wild, fantastical elements and attempting to corral them into a single tale, this time the task is to coax a story out of understated quiet. Both challenges require patient, imaginative skill, which you all have proved over and over you have in abundance. Come, write us a story! The world (and your judge) await.
(Find the contest rules here.)
This week’s contest is judged by SVW member Anthony Marchese who spends much of his time on the stage dramatically quoting lines at people. Be sure to check out his judge page to find out what he looks for in a winning entry. Short version: it’s all about character development and world-building.
* Word limit: 300 word story (5-word leeway) based on the photo prompt.
* How: Post your story here in the comments. Include your word count (295 – 305 words, exclusive of title) and Twitter handle if you’ve got one.
* Deadline: 11:59pm ET tonight (check the world clock if you need to; Flash! Friday’s on Washington, DC time)
* Winners: will post SUNDAY
* Prize: A memorable yet simple e-trophy e-dragon e-badge, a stunningly clean-lined winner’s page here at FF, a stupendously straightforward 60-second interview feature next Wednesday, and YOUR NAME in twinkling lights of inspiration across the shadows of the world (so to speak). NOTE: Winning and non-winning stories alike remain eligible for selection for Monday’s occasional Flash Points.
* Follow @FlashFridayFic on Twitter for up-to-date news/announcements/dragon nap instructions. And now for your prompt: