Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeak! Those are the brake lights of the cable car in front of you. This round is now closed; stay tuned for judge’s results. And of course don’t forget to read & comment on the tales! Thanks so much for coming out to play with us. See you tomorrow!
I’m not sure why some of us say we’re afraid of heights. Isn’t it more the idea of plummeting to the depths that sets our teeth on edge? Which is rather a fitting analogy for flash fiction, I think, at least the plummeting part. Or perhaps flash is more like high diving. You’ve got a scant ten meters in which to perform the impossible. While falling.
Either way, after a few weeks at a very comfy 200ish words, today we’re plunging very-nearly-but-not-quite to the wriggle-your-toes-in-the-mud depths. Be bold. Arrogant, even. Have fun. Write brilliantly.
Just make sure you’re quick about it.
(As ever, here are the contest guidelines. Read fast.)
This week’s brief contest is hastily judged by SVW member Patricia McCommas. (Be sure to check out her judge page to find out what kind of writing makes her gleefully chase her tail. Short version: she loves a complete story and unexpected twists.)
Special Note: On occasion you may see an entry with this tag: **Flash! Friday Judge’s Entry: For your reading pleasure.** Pay attention to those stories! They are written by members of our elite team of judges. Although ineligible to win, these stories will introduce you to the styles and tastes of our marvelous judging staff.
And now for the low-down:
* Word limit: 75-word story (5-word leeway) based on the photo prompt.
* How: Post your story here in the comments. Include your word count (70 – 80 words, exclusive of title) and Twitter handle if you’ve got one.
* Deadline: 11:59pm ET tonight (check the world clock if you need to; Flash! Friday’s on Providence, Rhode Island time)
* Winners: will post tomorrow (Saturday)
* Prize: A hurriedly assembled e-trophy e-dragon e-badge, a rapidly personalized winner’s page here at FF, a desperately rushed 60-second interview feature next Wednesday, and YOUR NAME racing like a hamster across the wheel of the world. NOTE: Winning and non-winning stories alike remain eligible for selection for Monday’s Flash Points.
* Follow @FlashFridayFic on Twitter for up-to-date news/announcements/tips on how to beat a dragon in a 5k (PS. That’s a joke. You can’t.). And now for your prompt: